Multi-tasking IS overrated (and more than a little dangerous, especially when driving). Still, after amazing folks in chat years ago by being able to conduct four text conversations simultaneously, I still do it. (Note: this does not mean just because I have two ears that I can listen to two different conversations at the same time. Nor do I approve of those wacky TV stations that seem to have disappeared – remember the ones that were streaming two to four different video streams on a single screen?)
This morning I was monitoring email, Twittering, participating in a great Marketing Profs webinar with David Meerman Scott, Lose Control of your Marketing: The NEW New Rule of Marketing & PR, and making breakfast when the Tweet came in: registration for Northern Voice ’09 is now open.
But it occurred to me while registering that the best way to persuade potential clients of the real value of social media would be to show them what it’s all about rather than just trying to tell them. So guess what – I bought two tickets, and you now have the opportunity to win the other one. While the monetary value is a mere $60, and the investment of your time a single Friday (February 20) and Saturday (February 21), the educational, networking, and inspirational value of attending a conference like this is – well – priceless, in my never humble opinion. To quote those credit card company ads [funny that I can never remember whether they’re MasterCard or Visa ads, isn’t it? I’m telling you, in any PR vs advertising contest, PR just keeps on ticking and ticking and ticking. ;)].
This is my contest, so I’m afraid I’ll be making the rules.
Here they are:
- You must be 35 or older to enter.
- You must be an entrepreneur. Solopreneur is fine.
- You must be truly bewildered by social media, but eager to learn.
- You must enter the contest by posting a comment on this blog post, with either a link to your own blog (if you have one) OR your email address. (There’s neoLuddite and then there’s Stone Age – if you don’t have an email address and don’t know how to access the Internet from even the public library, you’re not quite ready for social media).
- Your comment should include some details on what you hope to learn about social media and why you think social media can help you with your business endeavours.
- Your contest-entry comment must be registered on this blog post by midnight, PST, January 31, 2009.
- You must be a Northern Voice/blogging/social media conference newbie. If you’ve attended a seminar on social media (blogging, podcasting, Twittering, LinkedIn, etc.) lasting less than a day, you’re still eligible.
- The winner will be required to answer a simple skill-testing question designed to showcase his/her ability to use Google. Or a dictionary. 🙂
That’s it, except for a few other logistical notes:
This offer does not include transportation (either from out of town or local although I’m willing to consider carpooling – we can discuss this), accommodation, or socialization at NV09 itself. I’ll be attending a full range of seminars and presentations and trying to schedule some 1:1s with folks both local and out of town. Happy to say hello, but no guarantees and no escort service, nor will I be providing the usual ‘comfort and care’ services of a PR professional to a client or providing advice on which seminars you should attend.
Ticket transfer will be accomplished electronically. (In other words, I’ll add your name and email address to the list of attendees once you’ve been selected.)
Winner will be announced by noon PST on Tuesday, February 3, 2009 on this blog post.
Can’t wait to read your entries!